Hawaiian Highlights: Your Guide to Visiting & Deep Sea Fishing in Oahu
As one of Hawaii’s largest islands and by far its most populous, Oahu is the center of life in the Aloha State. Its name literally means “the Gathering Place,” and it’s not hard to see why: 976,000 people live there, more than two-thirds of the population of Hawaii, most of whom are located in or around the capitol city of Honolulu. This town is packed with culture and history, but because it’s in Hawaii, it’s never far from beautiful beaches. If you want to fully experience Hawaiian life, Oahu is the place to go.
How to Spend Your Time in Oahu
Given its large population and central location, Oahu is loaded with fun activities for you, your family, and your friends. The island’s many historic sites and museums give you a window into some of the most important events in American history. In particular, you can visit Pearl Harbor, where the Japanese Empire attacked us and brought us into World War II; the USS Missouri, where the Japanese Empire surrendered and ended World War II; the Winter White House, where former President Barack Obama signed some of his most important bills and orders; and the Honolulu Chinatown, which recognizes the important role that Chinese Americans have played and continue to play in Hawaii.
Besides historical sites, Oahu is full of natural wonders, many of which you can see at the island’s botanical gardens, nature preserves, and most importantly, beaches. The beaches also give you the chance to surf, sail, water ski, jet ski, and otherwise take to the surrounding oceans, providing a fun and challenging chance to explore the waters while getting great exercise. For an even more challenging experience, consider taking a deep sea fishing tour off the coast of Oahu, where you can catch marlin, tuna, Mahi Mahi, swordfish, and other beautiful and powerful underwater game.
All of these activities and more are available on different parts of the island, and because Oahu isn’t that large, you can do them in a single vacation if you wish. When planning that vacation, it helps to get a sense of all the communities in Oahu, and get directions to the Whipsaw from these neighborhoods:
- Honolulu– As Hawaii’s capitol and largest city, Honolulu is the center of local culture, business, and government. Beach adventures, historical tours, festivals, and sporting events are all available in this location.
- Waikiki– An iconic neighborhood of Honolulu, this community is most famous for its beautiful beaches and surfing competitions. It’s the ultimate visitors’ destination of shopping and dining.
- North Shore– Providing a break from the bustle of Honolulu, North Shore lets you experience wild plants and animals while surfing on undisturbed beaches.
- Kailua & Kaneohe– These towns offer festivals, shopping, golf, botanical gardens, and countless other fun and beautiful attractions.
- Ko Olina– A resort town, this area is famous for its golf tournament and cultural festivals.
- Pearl Harbor & Hickam– The site of a joint US Navy and US Air Force base, these communities let you experience both the past and present of American military might.
Whipsaw Sportfishing organizes deep sea fishing charters in Oahu. To learn more about our fishing charters and tours packages, click here.