Resort Relaxation: Taking in Ko Olina
With a population just under 2,000, Ko Olina is a small town west of Honolulu. The community was built specifically as a resort, offering luxurious living to both Hawaii’s visitors and its permanent residents. This makes it the perfect place to enjoy peace and quiet while still having access to all the conveniences of a major city, as well as the state’s natural beauty. If you stay at Ko Olina, you’ll never be far from an engaging adventure or a relaxing day at the shore.
Places to Stay in Ko Olina
Ko Olina is currently home to three major hotels, which are:
- Marriott’s Ko Olina Beach Club– Providing all the convenience of living at home, this hotel offers rooms with kitchens, washing machines, dryers, and other amenities. It also has three restaurants and three pools.
- Aulani– Owned by Disney, this hotel doubles as a spa. It also has four restaurants.
- The Four Seasons at Ko Olina– With spacious rooms and furnishings made from local wood, these rooms offer all the beauty and freedom of Ko Olina’s outside environment form the comfort of the indoors.
The price of a room at one of these hotels is $350 or more per night, depending on what room you choose. If this is out of your price range or you simply want to see how the locals live, consider renting a house or room through AirBNB, which offers lodging in Ko Olina for as little as $70 per night.
How to Spend Your Time in Ko Olina
Ko Olina is famous throughout the world as the site of the Lotte Championship, one of the most important tournaments in professional golf. This women’s golf competition is held every April, and hosts competitors from countries like Japan, Norway, South Korea, Australia, and the United States. Whether your passion is for golf or for experiencing other cultures, there is no better place to follow it than in Ko Olina.
Besides golf, Ko Olina is home to a number of cultural festivals. These include the Hawaii Food & Wine Festival and the Ko Olina Children’s Film & Music Festival, both of which let you experience local flavors, sounds, and artistic experiences.
If you are in need of some retail therapy, check out the Waikele Premium Outlets, an outlet mall with great deals on major brand name stores. Waikele is a residential neighborhood just a 20 minute drive from Ko Olina.
If the water is where you prefer to spend your time, Ko Olina has white sand beaches at 7 different lagoons. Here you will have a chance to swim or wade in the water, as well as to:
- Surf– Not only are the waters around Ko Olina great for regular surfing, but you can also go windsurfing and kitesurfing.
- Dive– Ko Olina offers endless opportunities to go snorkeling or scuba diving. This allows you to take in all the underwater wildlife, getting a feel for the unique, colorful fish, turtles, and dolphins that live nearby.
- Sail– To get a view of the beautiful Ko Olina coast and the waters that surround it, consider renting a sail boat and taking it out for the day.
While out on a boat or dive, you’re likely to see not only dolphins and turtles, but also game fish. Marlin, tuna, Mahi Mahi, and other local fish are as delicious as they are beautiful, but you’ll have a hard time catching them on your own. Instead, consider booking a Hawaii deep sea fishing charter with Whipsaw Sportfishing. We have a long history of catching the Aloha State’s most beautiful and powerful game, and know how to find them, hook them, and keep you safe while you reel them in.
Getting to Whipsaw
Our dock is about 50 minutes away from Ko Olina by car. Please take rush hour traffic into consideration when commuting from Ko Olina to Honolulu. The following route is the fastest way to get there:
- Set out on Ali’inui Drive
- After 1.8 miles, you will come to a cross roads; stay to the right to get onto Farrington Highway, and continue for 2.4 miles
- Continue onto I-H-1 East, following this highway for 18 miles
- Follow exit 18A toward HI-92 East
- Merge onto HI-92 East and follow it for four miles
- After you pass by Xtreme Parasail, take the first right
- Our offices will be on your left
Between the beaches and activities of Ko Olina and Hawaii fishing charters with Whipsaw, you’re in for an unforgettable trip. For more information or to book this trip, check out our fishing charter packages today.